As of July 25, 2016, Clare County Community Development handles all building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits and inspections for the City of Clare.
All permit application forms may be downloaded by visiting the Clare County Community Development agency's website, through the direct links below:
A property owner or contractor can complete any of these forms through the links above, print them, and then either send the completed and signed permit appliation with payment directly to the Clare County Community Development office. Alternatively, you may drop completed and signed forms off at Clare City Hall, and they will be forwarded to the county on your behalf.
You may reach this county agency by the following methods:
Clare County Community Development
225 W. Main Street
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed daily from noon to 1:00 p.m.
Prior to beginning any development process in the City, applicants are encouraged to meet with City staff for a conceptual review meeting. This meeting can help promote a smooth approval process once a formal application is submitted. In order to request a conceptual review meeting, Please call (989) 386-7541, or reach out via e-mail at Admin@cityofclare.org.
In order to make the best use, the following should be known/available:
- Existing use
- Intended development (residential, office, retail, manufacturing, and so forth)
- Preliminary sketches (hand-drawn are sufficient)
- Surrounding land uses
Any other additional information such as professional service providers, flood zone status, expected parking, and so forth are helpful but not required.
At the meeting, City staff will cover the following:
- Review the proposed use for general conformance with existing zoning
- Provide initial feedback on design (if applicable)
- Identify the correct process (site plan review, special land use, variance and so forth) and walk the applicant through what to expect
- Cover potential options for incentives through local, county or state programs
- Answer any additional questions you may have pertaining to development in Clare.